Monday 6 February 2012

Second, third, fourth, fifth, 100, 200

The next day I decided to return to this strange yoga that I had endured yesterday. ( I still didn't trust it). This time I was to have a male teacher who happened to own the studio his name was James, he went on to describe himself as the yoga terrorist in a black singlet. Funnily enough he was wearing a black singlet but he didn't seem so terrorizing? I was put of more by the big framed photo of a man wearing tiny tiger skin short shorts, sitting on some sort of a tiger skin rug- this was in fact Bikram Chodhury the founder of bikram yoga.

My second class was a lot harder than my first, basically because I knew what was coming and had created expectations for myself, unfortunately another trait of mine is impatience, so considering this was my second class I should know how to do all the postures correctly?... Wrong.. Looking back now I couldn't have been more wrong.

I was snapped back into reality in a posture called standing head to knee. The photo I have added is the right way to do standing knee. During my second class I couldn't even balance on one leg, and once I did get some sort of a balance it would last for around 3 seconds. I thought to myself how the hell am I ever going to be able to do that shit?

I could see why James had referred to himself as a terrorist, because he would not shut up. It's about a million degrees, all I can think about is how I wish I lived in the north pole at this point in time and your telling me lift my leg higher? This was not relaxing in the slightest. During my first class I discovered that every so often the teachers will open the doors to cool the room down a bit, so as you could guess I placed my mat exactly in front of the door so I could bathe in the cool air whenever the opportunity would present itself. This meant that on that special occasion James would walk right past me to open the door. What's so bad about that you ask? You know those people who are really passionate about what they are saying, and usually they will tend to use hand movements whilst explaining something? Yep thats James, there's nothing wrong with that in fact I do it a lot myself however James managed to flick his sweat all over me every-time he walked past to open the door. Who's so smart now? Wasn't bad enough i was covered in my own sweat, I was flicked with his too- now the terrorizing comment made sense..

Even though it felt like this class went for a lot longer, James' rambling funnily enough put some things in perspective for me, i could see why people practice this yoga, I also discovered during this class that bikram yoga Is a personal practice, there was no use comparing yourself against others and it definitely was not something you can conquer, there's always that challenge to go further. Why I fell in love with this yoga in this class was because that challenge to go further is set by you, measured by you, the success of your practice is not measured against others and it is only you who can make yourself better.

Although I was still unsure about this eagle business, you really think my toes are going to slide around my calf muscle?

I managed to go 9 days out of my 10 day introductory class and could already see major improvements, with this motivation I would continue to practice this strange yoga, it was the start of something very special

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing Zoe !
    looking forward to hearing more :)
    and some posts/Pics from Bali :P wanna hear aaallll about it !

    ReplyDelete